Thursday, August 20, 2015

Terve!! (8/13/15)

I feel like I just emailed my last P-day letter yesterday...weird. Anyway this week was so full and I have decided I very much like being busy here on the mission. 

TRC: So every week we give lessons to return missionaries from Finland and last Thursday was THE BEST LESSON I HAVE EVER GIVEN. I felt so good about the language, and understood about 80% (granted these arent native Finns but thats ok) and then yesterday we, instead of TRC, skyped with a native in Finland and that left me shellshocked but it was still really great! I cant believe how much I have learned already. And how much I still have to learn. Finnish is great.

Spiritual Day: So this Monday I had probably my most spiritual day on the mission thus far. It started with Vanhin Grooms in our district getting the really sad news that he might have to go home because his back problems were causing so much trouble for him. As zone leaders, (btw I am sister training leader by default hahahaah) Vanhin Craft, Vanhin Hatch, The Holy Ghost and I, came up with the idea that we would do a district fast for him. When we discussed this with the district we had such a positive response and then about an hour long discussion that brought the spirit so strong. It was so wonderful. We talked about the true meanings of missions and what our purpose is here. Everyone was participating and sharing very personal experiences that helped their testimonies grow. By the end of the discussion 5 of us had cried happy tears (of course I was one of them cause #totalbaby). Then that night Vanhin Grooms asked that I would open the fast with the prayer and after he was given a blessing by Vanhin Aldous. During the blessing, I was struck with the realization that we are real missionaries, and these elders actually hold God's priesthood power that can bless His children. It's so odd to see a group of 18 and 19 year old boys, who normally are total immature dorks, hold themselves to a standard because they have such a sacred privilege and responsibility to be priesthood holders. It was just one of those "hit you moments" you know?

Sunday Talk: So this is how Sundays work now. We all prepare talks in our languages and then when it comes to sacrament meeting the Branch President will announce to us, after sacrament, which two missionaries were speaking. So, because I had such a busy day full of meetings and I had already given a lesson the week before with a second lesson that day in relief society, I really didnt think that I would be chosen...think again Sisar Cardon! I was the first talk and I did the whole think Suomeksi (in Finnish)!! It was actually so great! I was surprisingly calm, collected, and spoke quite well! I, again, cannot believe how much I've learned here!!

Sunday Choir: So there is choir practice every Sunday and Tuesday and its soooo fun because the director is just so funny and shares the best stories. Anyway, so I went and it was really full buuut it was so packed with missionaries--approx 1000 he said--that there was only extra room on the stage so they had us sit up there for the practice (dont worry, everyone could just watch us 8 sisters sing...special). At the end of the practice it was so spiritual because we sand the song "The Hardest Thing I've Ever Loved To Do*" which is actually a super cheesy song but if you read it as a poem it just melts your heart. As I watch all 1000 of these missionaries sing this, about 20% of them are just crying because the words are so touching. It was a precious moment...but then the choir director asked me to say the closing prayer...that was not a precious moment. I wished I could've said it in Finnish so nobody could understand. Lol. 

Well I love it here a lot more than I thought I would! The mission has already taught me so much about who I am, who I want to become, and how I can help the people I love and God loves come closer to him. These are definitley the most important 18 months of my life and I am determined to make them count. Michelle, you are getting married tomorrow.  I wish I could be there, and I wish I could be with you on such an important day. I know that you are going to be the most beautiful bride. I am grateful I can at least be there as a cardboard cutout ;)
Willets Nover and I :)


Love you all and talk to you next week!!

Rakkaudellla,  (Love, affection or devotion)

Sisar Cardon




by Nashville Tibute Band  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr5Kzy4FF1g)

The hardest thing I've ever loved to do was letting go of everything I ever knew.
19 years of dreams left in my room as I buttoned up the jacket of my suit.
And the hardest word I've ever loved to say was goodbye to my mom and walk away.
Choking on my tie and on my tears, as I walked down the hall into those years.
And the sweetest song I ever loved to sing filled the MTC on angels' wings.
And the chorus filled my soul, five thousand strong
And I wished it would just go on and on.

The firmest hand I ever loved to shake was my trainer's with that big grin on his face.
He grabbed my bag and put his arm 'round me and whispered,
"I'm gonna work those Mr. Mac's right off your feet".

And the hardest words I ever anguished for came just before some lady slammed the door.
And my trainer left me hanging out to dry as a minute of painful silence rolled right by.
But the hardest tears I've ever loved to cry fell as I opened up my mouth and testified.
Between the tiny walls of strangers' living room, the Spirit told their hearts my words were true.

And the most wonderful sound I ever heard is the sound of water running in the church
As someone I've come to love got dresses in white
My eyes saw their first glimpse of heaven's light.

The hardest thing I've ever come to see is a Man down on His knees in agony.
A drop of blood falls down on olive leaves; for a moment, He suffers there for me.

The hardest thing I've ever loved to do was getting on this plane, and coming home to you.
In a million ways completely torn apart as a land so far away still owns my heart.
In the most sincere prayer I've ever prayed I thanked my God for each and every day
For the blessing of the man I've come to be as I walk up and kiss my momma's cheek.


No comments:

Post a Comment